Header Ads

Are Daughters-in-law Slaves?

I live with my mother-in-law, husband, and my 10 years old son. 4 of my co-sisters (my husband is the only son) often come and go or stay over for days but they only eat and sleep – they don’t do a single work at home. I work 6 days a week and I am the one who gets up at 4 am, cooks breakfast, lunch, and dinner, goes to work, returns from work, checks my son’s homework, and does all the housework up to 11 pm.

This has been my routine for the past 7 years – ever since we moved to a new big house and my husband’s stepmom (whom I adore) moved out with her daughter into their own home. I slave away in the kitchen while my co-sisters watch Astro in the living room – it’s been 7 years since I sat on my couch in my house and watch my subscription TV for which I pay. I spend Sundays (my only leave) cleaning my double-storey bungalow.

I got fed up a few months back and told my youngest co-sister who is a teacher trainee that this is our home, not a hotel. I requested her to do some housework with me. She made a big scene and my mother-in-law complained to my husband about me. She said, “See how your wife speaks. If she speaks ill of my daughters, won’t I get angry?” He sided with his mom only.

The fight is still on as a cold war. I still do all the housework. IDK if it was deliberate or “health-conscious” but what my MIL cooks, vaila vekka mudiyathu. My son complained so I took over the cooking. My co-sisters don’t come anymore, and my MIL blames me for it. I never said they shouldn’t come. I requested them to share the housework because this is their home too.

I train my son at housework – I need help and I don’t want his future wife to suffer. It’s laughable that my husband blames me that making my son do the housework with me is the sole reason his grades are dropping – he threatened our son that if his grades drop this year, I will be beaten. I did housework as soon as I was taller than the sink and still graduated cum laude. My husband has the inferiority complex that I am more educated, make more, and more capable than him. My MIL too says that highly-educated women don't make good wives. 

Ama, beat me and I will file for divorce. IDK if my husband is ashamed of telling our son that he will beat me if his grades drop. It makes me think about what kind of man I allowed myself to be married to – yes, arranged marriage. It doesn’t occur to my husband that a non-study conducive home is the one that’s making our son’s performance drop.  

The house is in my name – I prepay the mortgage every month – my husband owns a smaller house that we used to live in. Hit me and they will see what I will do. I make RM 3K more than my husband and I am also more educated than him. And they are using me as their slave – vadichum kottanum, kaasum kottanum. Am I a machine? I am exhausted and sleep-deprived, and no one cares.

I have adjusted and compromised ever since I got married. Before I came, my husband lived like a pichakaran – he drove a 2nd hand Proton Saga and the house’s furniture was my china atthe’s . I am the one who invested smartly, saved money, bought high-end cars, this bungalow in a posh neighbourhood, and 2 more houses which generate passive income in addition to what I make. What? Do they think I can’t survive without them? All these thoughts haunt me.

For my MIL, her daughters are princesses who shouldn’t even shed a drop of sweat but daughter-in-law is a maid that can be ordered around.

Previously, my china atthe and her daughter were here and they did all the housework with me. After they moved out, all the burden fell on me. My MIL thinks I should be at her son’s kaal adi coz he washes his own plate, knows how to cook (he cooks when he is in the mood, not as an obligation unlike me), makes his own coffee, cuts up fruit for himself and for basically knowing how to wash his own underwear – things every able-bodied, adult humans should do.

If I live separately with my husband, all these won’t happen. Indian men want joint-family coz they will be indulged by their mom and wife and they don’t need to do any housework.

I know some women who don’t want their husbands to have sisters. I understand their chagrin now. See, I am not that cruel to forbid my co-sisters from my house. They are always welcome – it’s a big house. They can stay for as long as they want. I don’t stop my husband from spending for them – I got them gifts when I went on trips to India. I only asked them to be kooda maada othasaiya and do the housework like family, coz I am exhausted as the only one who does all the housework – I don’t know how it’s “speaking ill” of them and warrants such response from my MIL.

~Netra Loshini, Malaysia~

10 comments:

  1. Mmm family sucks!!
    Let me share my story...
    An teenage girl,19yrs,Chennai...
    I don't want to reveal my name...I hope it doesn't reveals...not because Im afraid..but I don't want anyone to show sympathy towards me..

    'continues'

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmm family sucks!!
    Let me share my story...
    An teenage girl,19yrs,Chennai...
    I don't want to reveal my name...I hope it doesn't reveals...not because Im afraid..but I don't want anyone to show sympathy towards me..

    Really fed up of everything..not only in 'pugundha veedu'..porandha veetlayum girls have lot of issues..
    I don't know how many of them facing what I'm undergoing right now ...
    My mom is a single parent, hardworking, financially independent women who divorced her husband ( ena pethu potu " ponnu venam nu oditaan")..I have one big brother..not brother ..just my kooda porandha saakada ..
    Romba sandosamana vaalkaiya dhan enoda childhood days amanjidhu...
    Though my mom beats both of us( me and my bro)summa edhachu thappu Panna kandipa adika dhan seivanga..bayandhutey dhan irupom...but my mom loves us more than anything..avalo kastapattanga ..avanga Amma (my paati)and my mama yaarum Amma ku financial ah and emotional ah endha oru help um panala..surukama solnum na rombavey kasta patu paasama dhan valathanga..avalodhan...nallaa pochu enoda childhood...aana Amma naaley bayathodaye valandhen..but romba paasam avanga mela..

    ' continues'

    ReplyDelete
  3. Continuing...
    Nala dhan pochu ...oru primary school mudira varaikum..apro en vaalkai la Naa ena dress podanum ena jatti podanum modha kondu my mom only decided for me..and I was also so dependent on her and my brother..vayasuku Vara varaikum nalla adi vaangunen..i attended my puberty when I was in 9 th grade..
    After that my life has become a hell...saakada kuppaa vaalka..
    I remember still what my mom was saying to my brother at that time.." ava vayasuku vanta..ini Ava dha namma veetu mahalakshmi avala ini adika lam koodathu nu.." she was advicing my brother...so she stopped beating me and I was like abbah nimadhi da nu..
    And apro dhan therinjidhu I got stuck in " verbal abuse trap"

    ReplyDelete

  4. Continuing

    Ellaa silly reasons Kum I ll get scoldings from her...I know I'm not that much responsible but then Im not that much bad too🥺...the words she uses while scolding ," THEVdiya munda..vibachaari ..unallem compare pandrathuku "vibachaaringa Mel"...avuthu potu road la poga kooda koocha padatha kevalamana jenmam nee...these are the words I used to get...
    Hmm apo lam enaku idhu romba pudhusa irundhuchu
    ..but namma Amma dhana nu vitten..but adhuvey enaku back fire aagiruchu...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Edhuku thituvanga nu solalaye...summa books olunga organized ah vaikala..dress madichi vaikala..indha maari reason dhan..
    Ipdiye pochu ..9 th 10 th 11th ellaa years um ipdiye pochu ..en kooda porandhaan nu oru saakadaiya sonen la...andha saakadaiyum ena thevidiya nu dhan thituvaan.. for everything..but he knows I ll get hurt for that ..therinjey thituvan..but avn thitna nanum thirupi thituven using bad words..( I ll explain later)..
    Ipdiye pochu...but I thought namma Amma namma anna ..namala thinta ena thappu ..it's alright nu I left it slightly..and I won't even feel for it too...just thitra oru 15 mins aludhutu I ll be back to normal and I ll be laughing and talking to everyone..avalodha..ipdi muttala irundhen...
    But indha visayam yaarkum theriya koodathu nu irundhen..
    I don't even share this to my friends too..road la pakathu veetla Mel veetla nu oorukey kekra maari kathi dhan thituvanga...ayooo veliyaa kekudhey namala ena nanaipanga ipdiye yosipen..apo kooda en maramandaiku Amma annaa mela paasam adhigama dhan irukum...Namma Amma dhana...nu irundhen...veetuku electrician lam varapo amma thitna andha electrician ena paakra paarva ena konnurum...naragam... neighbours ah thaandi porapo lam kooosum...but idhelaam onum Ila...ena irundhalum Amma ku namma Chella ponnu dhana nu kaalatha ootitu irundhen..apro college um join panen..enaku CLG set agaadha naala...enaku veetlayum naragam college layum perusa happiness Ila nu oru maariye pochu..
    Continues...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Continuing...
    But Naa enikum adhey nanachi oppaari vaikra aaley illa..I'm a person who contributes positivity wherever I go....
    So veetla ena epdi pesnalum Naa adha perusa paakamaten pongada nu viturven..
    Ipdiye poitu irukrapo.. Naa bedsheets olunga fold Pani vaikala nu Amma valakam Pola "thevidiya munddaiku padutha porvaiya kooda madichi vaika theriyadhu..vibaachaari ...vibacharinga kooda paduthu endhirchitu..apdiye lam pomaatalunga..etc.." seriously type kooda pana varala...I'm getting emotional..mudila..Naa prostitutin workers ah asingama lam pakala..avangalum manishanga dhan..avanga mutual aana consent oda avanga sex vachitu sambadhikranga..Indha society la iruka toxic aana ethanaiyo people ethanaiyo kevalamana Vela senji poor people vaithula adichi sambaathikranga..avanga elaraiyum compare pandrathuku prostitution evalovo Mel... moreover Inga nadakra arrange marriage ku prostitution evalovo Mel ..enaku idhellam puridhu...aana enaku ..ena thevidiya nu thitrapo edhoo pathu per koooda virupam ilama paduthu endhirchitu vandha maari odambellam oru maari chaa..i hope you understand what I'm trying to say...

    Continues

    ReplyDelete
  7. Continuing...

    Aniku Amma apdi thitnapo ...avanga moonjilaye mulikadha nu lam sonapo..en moonja paathaley aruvarupa iruku nu sonapo..i decided inimey Amma kooda bed la paduka koodathunu...inor room la poi paduthen..Anga fan irukaadhu... small store room maari irukum...full of cockroaches and lizards...this happened in dec 2019...i had sinus infection at that time but initial stage la Amma adha oru porutaa kooda madhikala..if i cough continuously in night time...thookatha kedukra thevidiya nu she ll say( ..later..surgery panitanga in 2021)..ipdiye pochu fan ilama romba odambellam vethu poi avalo avastha Patten bed room kullaye varadha nu solirvanga....later March 2020 la lockdown potanga..indha lockdown aala dhan i realised many many things...ena dhan Amma namala thitnalum humanity ilama poiraadhu nanachen..but cheee...worst...periods apo lam fan ilama romba avastha Patten..even if I get irregular periods .."neeyellam maladi nu dhan Peru vaanguva olunga beetroot ah sapdu " nu she ll say...en Annan veeta vitu veliya ethana maniku naalum enga venum naalum polam.. but na po koodadhu..Avan aambala na just pombala....en Annan ena thevidiya nu thitalam ana Naa avana potta nu thitaa koodathu..( I know potta nu thita koodathu bcoz it's like degrading a women but then avanuku apdi thitna dhan Manda soodaagum ambala buthi)... lockdown ipdiye pochu...may month 2020 vandhuchu romba depressed ah irunhen yaarkitayum solama chaa oru maari veetukullaye irundhu manasellam ganathu pochu...
    May month la lam romba vex aagi elathukum romba katha aarambichen...summavey romba kathi dhan dhan pesven so Munna maari vaaya pothitu illama elathukum katha aarambichen...i cried every night...oru naal valakam Pola Amma Kum enakum Edo sappa visayathuku sanda..so she started scolding me as thevidya..Naa onumey adhula panala..en Mela thappilla nu I was trying to prove by rising my voice...avalodham anikum epoyum Pola night lam aludhen ...Amma Kita apdi thitaadhinga nu kooda en Anna poi solala...but Avan en kita bandhu," nee en avanga thitra maari behave pandra nu ketaan ...and I shouted against him" ...I cried all night..night oru 12 ku WhatsApp ponen...pona elaarum mother's day nu status potaamha with their family photos...engiii poitem..I cried like anything...enaku nu oru appa lam irundhurklamey nu first time yosichen

    ReplyDelete
  8. Continuing....
    Konja naal kalichi en Annan en kita pesradhaiye niruthitaam...ena reason Ney therila...nanum summa velaadram nu lam nanachen..but apro dhan therinjidhu Naa kathi pesren nu Amma avana en kita pesa venam nu solirkaanga...how horrible la...ivanga thevidiya nu sonaa na pothitu keknum..but Naa kathi pesna porukaadhu avangalku...rombaa kastamairchu.. cheeee...apro konja konjaamaa veetla enaku ena madhipu kodukraanga nu therinjikiten...
    Naa adhelam explain pana inum perusa poitey irukum...
    Oru plate la iruka waste kooda sapta Apro dustbin la podamaaatam en Annan..pombala na ipdi dhan iruknum...Naa aambala apdindra thmiru laye suthuvaan...Avan coffee whole glass hall la enikaachi theriyama kottirvaan..but my mom cleans it..but Naa oru small drop kotitey veedey rendaagum....pombalana Naa porupaa irukunnum ambala ena venalum panalam pamper panaa amma irukanga...
    My brother is committed and he has all alcohol habits...I know all these coz I used to check his phone..but Amma kita maati vidanum nu nanachadhilla.. just oru thangachi velaata paakra maari...nanum Avan phone avanuku theriyama paapen..( I know it's wrong but sorry I'm not that much perfect)..aana enikum Avan love pandra ponnoda chat kulla poi paathathey illa...but oru WhatsApp chat la he was flirting with another girl so badly so that triggered me to see the chats of his partner ..andha chat kulla poi paatha ...ena pathi avalo poi pesirkaan..like hee is the uthaman and I'm a bullshit..that hurted me a lot...oru line la she mentioned to her that," en thangachi lam thooku matirknum enga amma thitradhuku aana sorana ilaye nu" ( that girl doesn't know that I'm getting scolded as theviduya)...apo mudivu panen Ivan kita lam jenmathukum pesa koodathunu...2 yrs aaga podhu still Avan kooda pesla..inum Amma ena apdi dhan thitraanga...avanum Naa lam pora edathula vaangi katipen nu dhan pesitu irukaan...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Continuing....
    Daily aluguren..
    Naa avalo Vela seiren veetla aana Amma elaathukum ena dhan blame pandranga..ena sonaalum seri nu soli palagunu thitranga...cheee..evalo naal aludhu thondai ellam valichi nondhu poirken..I'm not sharing half my story coz it's too big and my hands are paining for this itself...
    This karuthu kannama..aval agaradhi..aruvi ...Naveen Daniel..suba varma..these insta pages healing me for what I'm going through right now...love you all
    ....seekramey indha veeta vitu veliya vandhurven....
    Starting la sympathy venam nu sonen...but ...enaku yaarachu ena katti pudichi onnum Ila da ma nu Sona nalaarukumo nu thonuchi.....
    @karuthukannamma #Rosa
    If you have read these.. pls do mention your reply in your story/post ..let that be your hug to me...
    Ipdi neraiya per irukaanga dhan ...
    Indha visayam enoda close friends two boys ku theriyum....
    And please don't share this whole texts screenshots ..enaku bayama iruku...

    EVERYTHING WILL BE ALRIGHT SOON HOPEFULLY

    THE END!

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.